MOA: University of British Columbia
Shadow puppet head from “Journey to the West”. Flat head made from semi-translucent cut, punched and painted hide. The face is cutout with fine facial features and is outlined in black. She wears a small ornate headdress of a phoenix over a long black ponytail with a red tie. The headdress alternates green and red with some yellow. Two large red flowers border her face, and long red tassels hanging by her chin. A small butterfly(?) sits in her hair. A long neck acts as a tab to insert into the collar of a body.
Dan or leading female archetype. Made for two foot tall puppet. Sings "small" according to opera archetype, similar to the "dan" role. Hairstyle of long ponytail indicates she is unmarried.
- Type of Item puppet
- Culture Chinese
- Material cow skin, watercolour paint, lacquer
- Measurements height 28.0 cm, width 17.5 cm, depth 0.2 cm (overall)
- Creator Lu Family
- Previous Owner Lu Family
- Received from Lu Family, Museum of Anthropology Exhibitions Budget
- Made in Tangshan
- Creation Date during 2018
- Ownership Date before December 21, 2018
- Acquisition Date on December 21, 2018
- Condition excellent
- Accession Number 3338/0003