MOA: University of British Columbia
Zhang Guolao, one of the Eight Immortals, shadow puppet character from "Journey to the West" with separate head (part b) and membranophone fish drum (part c). He has a cutout face, which is heavily lined. He has a long white beard, and wears a scarf(?) on his head. His robe is a deep blue-green, with circular motifs in black, and outlined in red. He wears black shoes with three red decorations down the side, and a red pompom at the toe. Limbs jointed with fibre at the shoulders, elbows, wrists and hips. Operated by three rods. The membranophone is a long piece of orange-yellow bamboo with dried fish skin stretched over one end. Two smaller rods with green cloud-like feet extend from the base of the bamboo. There is a small loop for the puppet's fingers.
The clothing is indicative of an older male scholar or other learned individual. Based on a real-life person. He was a learned magician, and medicinal herb and qigong master. His accessory is a membranophone fish drum (a bamboo tube with two iron mallets inside that make a vibrating 'noise').
- Type of Item puppet
- Culture Chinese
- Material cow skin, fibre, bamboo grass, steel metal, watercolour paint, lacquer
- Measurements height 58.0 cm, width 8.5 cm, depth 1.0 cm (overall) height 11.5 cm, width 2.8 cm, depth 0.1 cm (part c)
- Creator Lu Family
- Previous Owner Lu Family
- Received from Lu Family, Museum of Anthropology Exhibitions Budget
- Made in Tangshan
- Creation Date during 2018
- Ownership Date before December 21, 2018
- Acquisition Date on December 21, 2018
- Condition excellent
- Accession Number 3338/0015 a-c