MOA: University of British Columbia
Shadow puppet head from “Journey to the West”. Flat head made from semi-translucent cut, punched and painted hide. The head is of a young leading male archetype character. The face is cutout and outlined in black with fine features. He wears an ornate black headdress decorated with small dragons, large orange and red tassels, and a large red and a green pompom as well as many small pompoms. A long neck acts as a tab to insert into the collar of a body.
Leading male archetype. Sings according to "sheng" male character role. Headdress denotes a grand character status.
- Type of Item puppet
- Culture Chinese
- Material cow skin, watercolour paint, lacquer
- Measurements height 23.0 cm, width 17.5 cm, depth 0.2 cm (overall)
- Creator Lu Family
- Previous Owner Lu Family
- Received from Lu Family, Museum of Anthropology Exhibitions Budget
- Made in Tangshan
- Creation Date during 2018
- Ownership Date before December 21, 2018
- Acquisition Date on December 21, 2018
- Condition excellent
- Accession Number 3338/0002