MOA: University of British Columbia
Shadow puppet head from “Journey to the West”. Flat head made from semi-translucent cut, punched and painted hide. The face is cutout and outlined in black, with curved eyebrows and a small angled red lip. She wears an ornate headdress with a section of fabric extending down from a dragon(?)'s mouth. A small three-pronged spear extends from the crown, and a small phoenix(?) sits on top. Large red pompoms and green pompoms adorn the top, and two large red tassels extend down on either side of the face. A long neck acts as a tab to insert into the collar of a body.
Fits a 2 foot puppet.
- Type of Item puppet
- Culture Chinese
- Material cow skin, watercolour paint, lacquer
- Measurements height 27.0 cm, width 19.5 cm, depth 0.2 cm (overall)
- Creator Lu Family
- Previous Owner Lu Family
- Received from Lu Family, Museum of Anthropology Exhibitions Budget
- Made in Tangshan
- Creation Date during 2018
- Ownership Date before December 21, 2018
- Acquisition Date on December 21, 2018
- Condition excellent
- Accession Number 3338/0007