MOA: University of British Columbia
Large rectangular lidded basket with handles and a tight weave. The basket body is deep with a wide mouth, narrowing to a smaller base, with imbricated diamond, triangle and arrow shaped patterns in colours of tan, dark brown and red-brown decorating all sides. The lid (part b) is flat and has a low profile. It is decorated with imbrication similar to that on the body. The basket has two half circle handles attached at the shorter sides, just under the rim (one reattached in 2019).
Said to have been collected in the 1920s, in the Squamish - Burrard area.
- Type of Item basket
- Culture Coast Salish
- Material cedar wood, cedar root, cherry bark, cat-tail grass
- Measurements height 40.3 cm, width 71.5 cm, depth 36.5 cm (overall) height 1.6 cm, width 14.0 cm, depth 6.5 cm (part c)
- Previous Owner Margaret H. Bartlett
- Received from Margaret H. Bartlett
- Made in British Columbia
- Creation Date during 1920
- Ownership Date before July 24, 2011
- Acquisition Date on July 24, 2011
- Item Classes basketry
- Condition good
- Accession Number 2899/0001 a-b