MOA: University of British Columbia
Square ceramic tile with curvilinear and floral motifs painted on front. Surface is glazed. Background is dark red-brown. Motifs done in black with diamonds, dots, and flared and rounded lines throughout in dark yellow. Sides of tile undecorated. Six horizontal ridges on back of tile. Manufacturer’s mark, Minton' Hollins & Co., stamped between ridges. White sticker in the bottom left corner, on the back, with handwritten notes.
Tile was manufactured by dust-pressing, a technique that uses clay milled to a fine powder with low moisture content, which is then pressed in a die at high pressure.
Design is an imitation of English medieval tile patterns.
- Type of Item tile
- Culture English
- Material clay, paint, glaze
- Manufacturing Technique dust-pressed
- Measurements height 15.3 cm, width 15.3 cm, depth 1.3 cm (overall)
- Creator Mintons
- Previous Owner Judith Stoffman
- Received from Judith Stoffman
- Made in United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
- Creation Date during 1870
- Ownership Date before October 30, 2019
- Acquisition Date on October 30, 2019
- Item Classes ceramics
- Condition good
- Accession Number 3401/0004