MOA: University of British Columbia
Square ceramic tile with floral designs carved in relief across front. Surface is glazed. Circular flower designs overlapping one another, covering entire surface of tile. Flowers done in light green, olive green, pale yellow and yellow-brown. All flower centres are dark yellow. Seven horizontal ridges on back of tile. Manufacturer’s mark, Minton & Co., stamped between ridges.
Tile was manufactured by dust-pressing, a technique that uses clay milled to a fine powder with low moisture content, then pressed in a die with the relief pattern at high pressure.
- Type of Item tile
- Culture English
- Material clay, paint, glaze
- Manufacturing Technique dust-pressed
- Measurements height 15.3 cm, width 15.3 cm, depth 1.3 cm (overall)
- Creator Maw & Co.
- Previous Owner Judith Stoffman
- Received from Judith Stoffman
- Made in United Kingdom, Broseley
- Creation Date between 1850 and 1900
- Ownership Date before October 30, 2019
- Acquisition Date on October 30, 2019
- Item Classes ceramics
- Condition good
- Accession Number 3401/0010