MOA: University of British Columbia
Snuff mortar made of horn with incised motifs across surface. The body is naturally curved, with a circular opening tapering to a rounded base. Deep groove carved towards base; band of alternating triangles incised above. From opening to middle of body, groupings of incised dots decorate the exterior. Dots create linear and geometric motifs; all circles are filled in with black pigment(?).
The donor taught in a rural school in Tobli, eastern Liberia, from 1965 to 1967.
- Type of Item mortar
- Culture Krahn
- Material horn, pigment
- Measurements height 19.0 cm, diameter 4.0 cm (overall)
- Previous Owner Donald White
- Received from Donald White
- Made in Liberia
- Collection Date between 1965 and 1968
- Ownership Date before August 27, 2021
- Acquisition Date on August 27, 2021
- Condition good
- Accession Number 3522/0003