MOA: University of British Columbia
Circular ankle dance rattle consisting of five bells attached to a brass band. Interior and exterior sides of band are rounded; top and bottom are flat. Exterior has two channels moulded along its length, forming a pointed ridge that runs through the centre. The five bells are spread at intervals along the band and have large openings through their centres; raised line border around slits. Tops of bells have raised concentric semi-circle and knot-like band designs; bottoms are undecorated. Back of band has a design of two curls with an oval in between them.
The donor taught in a rural school in Tobli, eastern Liberia, from 1965 to 1967.
- Type of Item anklet
- Culture Krahn
- Material brass metal
- Measurements height 3.4 cm, width 13.6 cm, depth 12.4 cm (overall)
- Previous Owner Donald White
- Received from Donald White
- Made in Liberia
- Collection Date between 1965 and 1968
- Ownership Date before August 27, 2021
- Acquisition Date on August 27, 2021
- Item Classes metalwork
- Condition poor
- Accession Number 3522/0066